Tomorrow night, I’m hosting a party for a personal local hero of mine, Jumoke Hinton Hodge (details at the end of this post). Jumoke is running for reelection to Oakland’s school board, in District 3 (West Oakland-Downtown). Over many years, I’ve had the opportunity to witness her fearlessness in the interest of our students, and I’m supporting her strongly in this race. Here’s why:
- Jumoke does what’s right for kids, even when it’s politically hard. She’s taken risks to support KIPP and other initiatives that change life trajectories in some of the city’s lowest-income neighborhoods.
- Jumoke is the only candidate in her race (District 3—West Oakland/Downtown) with the experience to be effective on the school board. A veteran of four years on the board, she has the knowledge and relationships to move an agenda for positive change.
- Jumoke is running on her record. Under her tenure, Oakland has become the most-improved urban district in California. Jumoke has supported vital initiatives including improving college access through aligned curriculum; the creation of an African-American male achievement initiative; and the adoption of restorative justice principles in the district’s disciplinary policies.
- Jumoke’s in this for the right reasons. A West Oakland mother with a quarter-century record as a parent activist, she’s not building a political career. She understands from personal experience the difference that schools make to the health of our community, and she’s putting the work in to make a difference.
- Jumoke’s my friend. I admire her integrity and her passion. I’m proud to stand behind her.
You can find out more about her experience and positions via her website, and I hope you’ll consider making a donation to her campaign via the same link.
I’m hosting a party for her tomorrow night, 6 to 7 pm, Monday, Oct. 1. I hope you can join; if you can, please let us by RSVP on the page for this party at Jumoke’s website. I hope you’ll come and join me in supporting her.